Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

We love Piedmont

We had an appointment this morning at 11:15 with my doctor to check my blood pressure and to meet with the doctor. Well, at 8:45 am the nurse and doctor called and wanted me to get there ASAP in case they wanted to send us straight to the hospital. Oh ok, that won't make my blood pressure rise at all! I had to call John's office and get him pulled out of a company wide meeting. This baby is so dramatic, wonder where it gets that from, obviously John. ;)



So the bp was high but not the highest it has been but from my blood and urine tests from Monday my kidneys aren't functioning properly. I have also gained 5 pounds since Monday's appointment, that is less than 48 hours ago, and I can tell you where it all went, my feet and legs as the swelling is out of control! Fred Flintstone feet as the nurse called them.




So the doctor sent us straight to the hospital, good thing we knew exactly where to go. They had me hooked up to the fetal monitors, blood pressure cuff, drew blood, and more urine samples. Things had gotten better so they decided not to induce today. They are doing a 24 hour urine test on me so we will be here at least until 11 am on Thursday morning.




At that time, they will re-examine my blood and urine tests/levels and either:



1. induce


2. keep me at the hospital on bedrest


3. send me home on bedrest





As the doctor said, if it was 38 weeks this would be a no brainer and just induce me today. But she is trying to get a few more days out of me so the baby's lungs have a few more days of development. (We will be 37 weeks on Sunday.) Even though the baby is big, it could make the difference of being in the NICU versus not.




I am slowly but surely coming to peace with this situation. Don't get me wrong, I still have my freak out moments usually involving tears but for the most part, it is almost comical. As much as I have planned for this baby, made excel spreadsheets, color coded baby file folders, it really is not in my control. Since September, May 31 has become one of two of the most important dates in my life. I can't tell you how many times a day May 31 is thought about or said out loud, even to total strangers who are trying to get their germy hands on my belly. I would have bet money that we would go past our due date, not be 3 weeks early! I would have loved for my water to have broken and to have to rush around the house like a crazy woman trying to get out the door and for the baby to come when it wanted to come, towards the end of the month. John keeps telling me that the baby is coming when it wants to come, I guess he is right. His motto has always been: In Due Time.




Yesterday, my mother and I did get alot done so I feel better about that. All the baby clothes, baby linens, and my nursing gowns/pjs have been washed. The house smells like Dreft, such a sweet smell. And the Wieuca Road fire station installed the carseat so we are set there. Mom spent all morning and early afternoon at our house today finishing up the wash and ironing until she came to the hospital to let John go back to work for an hour or so.




Since my grandfather, who has been here for a month, is back in ICU on the first floor, I am making things really convenient for my family to visit everyone here.



We love Piedmont. Really we do. My Great Great Aunt Hattie was the first patient at this location. It feels like home.



More tomorrow....












5 comments:

Jami said...

Rest up Kyle!! John is right, In Due Time!

Tripp, Jack, Charlotte said...

Thinking of you, Kyle! I wish I could come pull up a bed beside you and rest a couple days! Enjoy the rest! I cannot wait to hear about the little guy/girl and see pictures. I'm glad you're already dilated! Keep us posted!

Lindsay and Roe said...

Thinking of you and waiting to hear! Much love!!

Mandi said...

Hang in there, Kyle! Everything will be just fine!

lnichols said...

OMG- Kyle! Drama. We are thinking of you. I hope all goes well and that baby will have a story to tell. If you guys need anything, just ask Brent and I for help.