Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Proud

It has been one of the most difficult weeks of my life and an especially long past two days. All of the services for my grandfather were beautiful. I have been dreading the past two days and am glad that they are over so now maybe, just maybe, I can start concentrating on new life and not harping on death. My grandfather's passing is a true illustration of the circle of life as this baby will be such a blessing to our family, especially during this time of grief.



John was asked by the family to speak about Pap Pap and to say a few words of rememberence at the memorial service this morning. Below is what he said. I am always proud of John but today he took it to a new level. I know most of what he said doesn't mean anything to you, but it means the world to me. I am so proud to be John's wife and Pap Pap's granddaughter.



*******************************************




On behalf of the Orr family, I would like to again thank y’all for being here today. I am John Hinson and it is one the great honors of my life to be here to speak about Mr. Orr, affectionately known by his family as Pap Pap. In fact, I would say this honor is second only to standing before this same church three years ago this month to marry his granddaughter Kyle.

Having never had the opportunity to meet one of my own grandfathers and having been robbed of the other at a very young age, Pap Pap filled an important void in my life. His great stories and wisdom were those of a true Southern gentleman. I truly felt accepted as a grandson, even from the first time I met Pap Pap around Christmas 2002.

It might have helped that we discussed that first day that we were both descendants of the old country, not Ireland, but Russell County, Alabama. Oswichee, for his family, and Cottonton, for mine, are only about 10 miles apart along the Chattahoochee River. With the birth of his great grandchild expected any day now, I know Pap Pap is proud that the Russell County bond that we share will continue to grow stronger.

Kyle and I will truly miss sitting with him on Sundays here at North Avenue. It is our sincere hope and prayer that the memory of Pap Pap will live on in all of us and serve as a catalyst for each of us to be all that we can be and love one another as he loved everyone here today.

We know this is a sad day but also as Uncle Remus said my, oh, my what a wonderful day. We know there is plenty of sunshine headed Pap Pap’s way. The weather’s good; the fishin’s fine.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Kyle! I am so proud of "dad"! :) I know how much that meant to you and your family. I am sorry I could not be there today but know you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Kate said...

Kyle --- I'm so sorry for your family's loss. But, what a wonderful way to honor his life. I wish you all many blessings.

Take care, keep your feet up and I look forward to hearing about the newest addition.

Adrienne said...

I cannot read what John said at the funeral without getting teary eyed at work! He did such a good job.