Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, March 16, 2009

28 week Doctor's Appointment

We had our 28 week appointment this morning even though we are 29 weeks but due to spring break last week, I pushed back the appointment to this morning so I could see one of the doctors in the practice that I had yet to meet. They suggest doing this so in case your regular doctor isn't the doctor on call when you deliver, you don't have a complete stranger delivering your baby. Makes sense.



Today they did the glucose screening test to check for gestational diabetes. You have to score lower than 135. I got a 106, whew. I am sure the scrambled eggs (protein!) John made me this morning helped but I sure didn't think about this last night when I ate an entire pint of Haagan-Dazs Pineapple Coconut ice cream, minus the 3 bites that John ate.



I also confirmed my self-diagnosis. Call me Dr. Kyle. After weeks of severe numbness and tingling in my hands and arms, I did some online research yesterday and came to the conclusion that I am suffering from gestational carpal tunnel syndrome. The doctor confirmed my diagnosis. My mother suffered from CTS (not during her pregnancies) to the point where she had surgery for it so she has lent me her wrist braces. I wore them all day yesterday and as long as I am wearing them, there is no numbness or tingling. And I wore them last night and actually slept a little better. Can I get an Amen?! Every little bit helps at this point. Evidently, this condition goes away after the baby gets here. Let's hope that is true.


************************************************


On Saturday we attended the childbirth class from 9 to 5 at Piedmont. John says he hope real childbirth is shorter than the class was. It was informative and we definitely learned some things. Out of 16 couples, there were 3 couples that did not know the sex of their baby. I always find that statistic interesting. In my prenatal pilates class I was the only person out of 8 not finding out...I digress. They showed some very graphic videos of childbirth, very graphic, like you see it all. And they did this right before we broke for lunch, not very appetizing.

They talk about the importance of laboring at home in the beginning stages. I don't see that happening.

We had to try 4 different positions for relieving labor pains, some of which involved tubs, chairs and balls. I don't see that happening either.


They passed around a box of items you will see in the hospital and each couple had to take one and then figure out what it does and explain it to the class. John pulled out the phone that will be in the hospital room. Ok, so it is a phone, not hard to figure out. Some of the other items were scary looking. Well, when it was our turn to explain our item John says, "We got a phone, so she can call Central City Tavern and let me know the baby has arrived." Really? Too bad they just tore it down, JOHN!



Next class: Breastfeeding for Couples on April 4

1 comment:

lnichols said...

What!!!!!??? They tore down Central City? Glad I had Emmie when I did so I could get my last meals in!!! Never once had a labor pain until they started the pitocin. I am sure natural ones are just as bad as induced ones, Yikes!