Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, June 5, 2009

"My 16 day old baby.....

has come down with pink eye in the last hour!"


That was my opening line when I called the pediatrician yesterday at 2:30.


Pediatricians office: Can you be here at 4:00?


Freaked out new mommy: Yes, of course.


How does a newborn baby get pink eye?


Well, they don't. I mean, they can but this isn't pink eye.


Fannie Bradley has a blocked tear duct. Huh?


Her right eye resembles the same yellow gooey crusty mess that we all had growing up with pink eye and it literally appeared out of nowhere in the matter of moments. It is heartbreaking to look at especially when she struggles to open her eye but can't because it is glued shut. Evidently it is very common and nothing to worry about. I am glad we rushed to the pediatrician (4th time in 10 days) though as her eye is so much better today!


So now we use a warm compress to clean her eye off, adminster eye drops 3 times a day (can't decide if giving eye drops to a baby or an eighty pound lab is easier) and are massaging her tear duct.


Why am I sharing this? So that all my new mommy friends can learn from this and that the 99 % of my other friends who will be bearing children in the next 5 years know what to look for!


It is always something and this child is loving keeping us on our toes! Fitting as I expect nothing less from her. ;)


2 comments:

Tripp, Jack, Charlotte said...

Funny you posted this now! All three of my kids have had them- in both eyes- no fun. The boys cleared up on their own but little Charlotte's left eye will NOT so we are having to resort to the eye dr. Most clear up by three months of age!

Linday and Roe said...

Oh yes, blocked tear ducts. Luckily my mother knew what it was and I didn't make a trip to the pediatrician (that time). We did however make one a couple weeks ago for "pink eye" which turned out to be the daycare virus in his eye...nothing we can do but let it run it's course! Oh joy!