Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Breastfeeding


While I (at age 30 years) was breastfeeding my first born child (at age 11 weeks) this morning, I was watching my usual, The Today Show.

They featured a new doll that is on the market, Bebe Gloton. A breastfeeding doll. A BREASTFEEDING DOLL!!!!!!!!! Leave it to the crazy Spaniards to come up with something so utterly ridiculous. It made me physically sick. Can you imagine seeing a 5 year old playing with a baby attached to her non existent breast? Good thing we don't have any trips to Spain planned anytime soon.





I wonder if it comes with a nipple shield, hooter hider, tube of Lansinoh breast cream, Boppy, nursing bra, breast pads to soak up leakage and a glass of wine?? Just a couple of the breastfeeding necessities....I doubt it.


Did you know that August is National Breastfeeding Awareness Month? I did not until a few days ago. Having a baby makes you much more aware of the world around you. I am still breastfeeding, though not exclusively, as I don't produce quite enough milk to get Fannie Bradley through all 24 hours! She gets breast milk all day and then formula at night, which I am convinced helped her start sleeping through the night before she was even a month old. Being a big baby and the narcolepsy genes from her Hinson side of the family probably helped too.



I am also a master of the breast pump, if I do say so myself. We bought the:





Medela Freestyle


And I absolutely love it. It is so small, easy and portable. Pumping has allowed other people, like the daddy most importantly and the grandmothers, to bond with the baby and to let me not be held a prisoner. I thought I was way ahead of the game and prepared because I bought the pump weeks before the baby was to arrive. Well, good plan expect that I didn't take it out of the box until about 3:00 am the second night we were home from the hospital when my milk came in with avengence and I acutually considered taking a butcher knife to the sacred food source. The pain rivaled labor and delivery. So the lesson learned is to take your breast pump out of the box, before the baby gets here, read the directions and CHARGE THE BATTERY!


I think that is all I have to say on this subject now that John is under his desk. I think he is the only male that reads the blog as I know that my dad and father-in-law do not! I tried to keep this as clean as possible so I aplogize to any other males out there who might be reading!


1 comment:

Tripp, Jack, Charlotte said...

Kyle, I'm in town until the 18th and would love to drop by to see FB so if you guys are free or bored email me or call me! 913.624.4952
hope you guys are well!